Sunday, November 27, 2005

Line of the Day

Robby (sitting at the table waiting a very long time for our Starbucks drinks): "We must be on a show or something."

hahahahaha =)...that's just too funny!

Good times with the family yesterday...actually this whole 4-day weekend has been great! I didn't bother with a schedule because I figured I deserved some kind of do-nothing vacation. Got to attempt a few new recipes, and if I practice more, I might someday be good at it. My mom pulled out some of her cookbooks for us to look through, and I've found my favorite one...Betty Crocker's New Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook (because I don't know a whole lot!).

So yes, Thanksgiving was really nice...went to Mass with my mom in the morning and hit the kitchen for the rest of the morning until everyone started coming over. In years past, it had always been my dad playing Master Chef of the family. This year we were a little worried that a few dishes wouldn't come out right but everything turned out okay. Gary even brought over his homemade lasagna, as requested by the family...always impressive because it just takes a lot of patience to prepare and it tastes soooo delicioso! The gathering was small - just our immediate family, Robby, Mike, Gary and Nelden (his brother from SF) - but it was good to be together.

I slept for most of the day on Friday, hoping to get to the 2nd round CIF playoff game but decided against it because I was very tired. It's okay, I really needed the rest.

Yesterday, Em came over in the morning while I was cooking breakfast. She and Lyn-Lyn plugged in the Magic Mic and sang their hearts out like old times. I remember when she first got it - I would wake up every Saturday morning for the longest time to the sound of Emeline's voice. Ahhh, memories...

After serving them eggs w/keilbasa sausage, I decided to go back and try the recipe I skipped on Thanksgiving...Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushroom w/Mashed Potatoes and Gravy...yummy. That turned out pretty good, and we were all super-full when we were done. Mike came over, and we sat around talking for a while until Em decided that we should all take a fied trip to the new Target across from SPV and have Starbucks after shopping. Hence the "Line of the Day" above.

Word of advice: If you want coffee, it's probably best to drive to an actual Starbucks rather than one that is very much understaffed.

Nonetheless, Rob entertained us with Leilani's newly bought Dark Black Chandler, and like Mike said, we had nothing else to do anyway.

I really love hanging out with my sisters and BiL's, and of course Leilani, too. They're GREAT (and quite funny, I might add)!!!

We put up the tree and decorated it after they were done watching Hitch, then ate some more. I thought it was cute that my mom and Robby were humming Christmas songs. I had to leave to meet Jennifer for Mass at Holy Family, but as I was driving away from my house, I was so grateful for my familia.

First Sunday of Advent. Fr. Anthony spoke of preparing our hearts. That convicted me but I didn't give it much thought after that until now. We need to prepare our hearts to both give love more freely and to receive the love God and other people want to give to us. Make room so that when Jesus, Mary and Joseph come knocking, we will not turn them away because our hearts are overcrowded with worldly attachments, resentments, unforgiveness, and sin. That will be my Advent prayer...

Dinner afterwards was "mmm, mmm, soooo good" at Sushi Studio w/Jennifer. It's probably been a couple of years since we really hung out. Much needed, I think, for both of us. Even though I've kind of struggled somewhat with staying in a community, I'm so glad to know that when it comes down to it, we are still here for each other and that there is good reason that certain people are still in my life.

Today I shall pick up my wedding dress.

I must say, I really miss my fiance right now.

A little over 7 months to go!

0 comments: