Saturday, November 19, 2005

Dude, I'm tired but I feel great!

Hi, folks...

Just finished the Winter Sports Retreat with the Soccer Team. The Basketball Team didn't end up showing, but it actually ended up to be a great day. Those soccer players are some pretty funny guys. They're very mellow yet quite playful and highly cooperative, I must say.

I was talking to Lupe about maybe having individual team retreats instead of grouping them by season, just so the group stays at a manageable size. Then he, as everyone else does, warned me not to overwork myself because that would more than double the number of Sports retreats during the year. You know what, though? This was the easiest and funnest (is that a word?) retreat I've ever done. If they were only 3 hours long (I guess it would be more of a mini-retreat), then it wouldn't be so bad.

Even though I'm not an athlete, I'm really growing in appreciation for the discipline of sports and what it does for the players. It helps that my fiance is a "sports guy" - an athletic trainer by profession and a past high school football player - and that my students share that part of their lives with me by wanting me to go to their games. Yes, if I don't end up having my own children, I'll have many kids to help "raise" here at Verb or anywhere else I may end up in the future.

This is a beautiful place. As I was hiding walnuts around campus for their "Squirrel" game, I was just loving the moment of being here. Sure it's hard sometimes, and the stress can come close to unbearable every so often, but how bountiful are the rewards when my boys succeed...when they come and say hi after they've graduated...when they ask me to pray for them because they want to try to be better people.

You can't pay me enough to make me want to do something else.

******************************


For anyone who wants to learn scheduling and task prioritization techniques, please let me know and I'll teach you over coffee (yes, Dorothy, that's you!). I wanted to blog it all out but it's SO much better in person.

Just bring your Day Planner and calendar and I'll bring mine!

It's really worth learning because then you'll actually have time to do things you want to do. Granted that you'll have to sacrifice some things for others at times, you're still able to look at your days overall and balance time with everyone important to you while still finding the opportunity to get things done.

You just can't put too much pressure on yourself and expect that more hours in your day will magically appear. It's all just a matter of being at peace with what you choose to devote your time to.

Like right now, I'm choosing to blog even if I didn't schedule it because I feel the need to appreciate my day today through this entry. I wanted to get some work done this afternoon but my body is telling me to go home and take a nap. I can just do some rearranging since I'm coming back to work tomorrow for Open House. Grading papers is not fun when your eyes can't stay open.

So I'm going home now.

Thank you, Lord, for today. You're AWESOME. You really are.

0 comments: