Thursday, July 21, 2005

It's hot

Dear God,

Can you please turn up the AC a little?

Love,
me

******************************


I'm taking a brief paper-grading break. Tomorrow is our last day of the Freshman Summer Progam. I must say that I had a great time teaching these kids. They're really nice boys. We even have one going into the 11th grade who brings his harmonica, banjo, and guitar to school and just plays in the quad. His name's Ronnie and he was in my 4th period class. He's from Louisiana so he has that sweet Southern accent, not to mention a heart of gold.

I don't think I ever want to leave the classroom completely. It's the most fulfilling experience to teach...to get the kids to come up with their own questions and to seek answers by stretching their brains a little. There's nothing else like it. Definitely not a lonely job, I'll tell you that much. And when you can be there for them in their successes and challenges, praying with them and supporting them, you feel like you've just been given the greatest gift of all - a love that goes beyond just knowledge but rather binds you together through relationship.

This is the real world...what life is all about. We're establishing our careers and trying to put to practical use all the lessons we learned in college. Yesterday we took some of the guys on an LA Walking Tour to show them the buildings they'll be working at. I looked up at the US Bank building and said to one of the students, "My cousin works up there." My youngest sister and my best friend are both married...Leilani will be 5 next month...decisions are being made and futures are being built. I'm looking into the next few years of my own life wondering where God's going to take me next.

Pretty exciting.

I'm here because of not only the choices I have made in life but also because God had a lot to do with bringing me to this point. I worked for my degree and accumulated experience, but He gave me my job and every opportunity that led up to it. I held my standards high, but He brought my boyfriend to me and gave me the grace to say yes to this relationship. I tried to learn as much as I could about my faith, but He was the one who kept me faithful to Him.

So whatever is coming up for later on, God has it all in His hands. I'm happy where I am, but He's not going to keep me here. Someday I may move on to another job...Gary and I may take that next step...and eventually when it's all over, He'll carry me into Heaven.

Always changing...always moving...but with always the same Love surrounding me and filling my heart with joy.

In the long run, however, this isn't all just for me. He takes me where He wants me to go because there are others who He'd like me to bring along the journey as well. Just gotta keep walking and they'll happen to be going in the same direction looking for some companionship.

Yes, it is pretty exciting.

"Let each of us bring joy to our neighbors helping them for the good purpose, for building up. May God, the source of all perseverance and comfort give to all of you who live in peace Christ Jesus, that you may be able to praise in one voice God, Father of Christ Jesus, our Lord." (Romans 15:2, 5-6)

0 comments: