Thursday, June 22, 2006

A celebration of life

There is LOTS to celebrate among my family and friends these days.

Nephew #1 - Jacob Ryan Moya (a.k.a. "babalooksi"), son of Robby and Emeline
Nephew #2 - Noah King, son of cousins Maurice and Jaymee
Nephew #3 - Joshua Bryan Padilla, son of cousins Ryan and Amabelle

Recent engagement - Michael and my sister Roselynn...wedding date January 6, 2006!

Jenn should also be having her baby soon. Noreen, too!

It was some years ago when I was more comfortable at funerals than I was at weddings and baby arrivals. I'm glad things are turning around, event-wise.

So the realization I'm taking into our wedding is that we're really grateful for the opportunity to open it up to everyone. Because of the way it is set up, anyone who wants to come can come. It's not to show off because there isn't anything showy about the wedding, by any means. There aren't even going to be flowers at the altar. Only the arrangement that is normally in front of Mama Mary. I guess I just wanted the church to look as much as it does when I walk into it to go to Mass...the way it had looked everyday when I sought Him out, wanting to know that He was there for me...that He was there for us.

The more I imagine the day, July 8th - two weeks and two days from now - it will be more of a celebration of life.

A new beginning.

A day of gratitude for everyone who has been part of our faith and part of our lives.

Because it took a lot to get where we are.

I'm not talking about financial or professional success.

I'm talking about spiritual and emotional growth.

And every person that we could think of who contributed to that in each or both of us was invited to share that day with us.

If you think about it, the only time that people get together for you like this is when you die. They hear that you passed away and anyone who ever knew you and was a significant part of your life suddenly return to give your family condolences. It's a very bittersweet reunion.

I am so incredibly familiar with it because I remember meeting some of my dad's friends again after years of distance...seeing relatives who I've only met as a child. And I'll never forget about the phone call from one of his friends, in particular, who cried to me because he couldn't believe my dad was gone. I didn't even know who this man was. Reflecting back, I really wish I did.

Of course not everyone will be able to make it to the wedding, but we do know that we have their prayers on that day. Masses will be said...and petitions will be lifted up in different parts of the state, and in the country...even on a plane heading for New York. These people will be doing for us what they've been doing all along...praying us through the journey that God is taking us on.

It's different, I know, and everyone who gets married will hopefully be able to make their day special in their own way. The most important thing, though, is that the couple standing there committing themselves to each other understand what it is that they're doing. Because if you think about it, the details are for us. The vows are for each other. The "yes" is for God.

You're right, Gary. We can't be any more ready than this.

Can't wait. =)

0 comments: