Wednesday, February 09, 2005

You are dust and to dust you shall return

Today begins another season of Lent. It seems that with the passing of each year, the sacrifice cuts a little more deeply and the temptations come about with more strength than they have in the past.

40 days. The topic of conversation around this time of year is always the penance that we are imposing on ourselves in order to free us of ourselves. "What are you giving up?" I've heard a number of different things from a number of different people. My own sacrifices during the last few years have been unique to my personal situation at the time because I've been more aware of the things or people I am attached to.

Nothing is to take the place of God as the center of our hearts.

"Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

"There is still one thing you lack. Sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in Heaven. And then come and follow me." (Luke 18:18, 22)

Let go of comfort and embrace suffering. Give up the pursuit of wealth for the virtues that grow in humble circumstances. Feed the spirit while turning away from the desires of the flesh. Serve rather than be served.

In the state of life that God created us for, we are each called to live the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Dear Lord, can You please show me how? Please make this Lenten season focused on this lesson I must learn. For the vocation You have called me to, I seek to find Your face in the midst of the process. Please help me trust You through it, and give me the courage to accept whatever means You take to teach me.

All that matters is that we end our lives with Him. Praise God for you, Ei. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Here we go...

"As He returned from the Jordan, the Spirit led Him into the desert where He was tempted by the devil for forty days. When the devil had exhausted every way of tempting Jesus he left Him, to return another time." (Luke 4:1-2, 13)

0 comments: