Friday, February 04, 2005

Kappa Interviews

There's a reason for everything, and this part of my life still lies within my heart...with the Greek letters Kappa Psi Epsilon engraved in its special place.

How I responded to Nancy's questions:

1. How do you forsee the future of KPsiE?
I pray that our sisterhood will continue to grow to become a solid organization of young women who believe that there is always hope despite the struggles that we face everyday...women who seek truth and justice...women who work hard to build bridges and break down walls in their relationships with others...women who are not afraid to be who they really are and not compromise the deepest part of their souls.

2. Do you believe you still use the things in your daily life that you've implemented in the mission statement?
Revolution of self is the one thing I think I'm always working on. A caterpillar cannot convince another caterpillar that it will become a butterfly unless it allows itself to be transformed first. You can't give what you don't have. I'm a definite work in progress...asking God to show me more of who He made me to be...to give me a better understanding of how the circumstances of my life have made me who I am today...to learn to love as He does so that tomorrow I can give more of that love than I did today.

3. What was your biggest struggle in forming this organization?
Finding myself in the process and facing some form of rejection because of it from my own sisters. The obstacles were necessary, however, because overcoming them gave me the chance to talk about how one would stay true while still respecting others who are different. Years later there has grown a mutual respect between us all and we appreciate the various paths we have all taken.

4. What has been your greatest accomplishment so far, Kappa or non-Kappa related?
Not allowing my "crosses" to crush me because I depend on grace to help me carry them. Each person, I think, goes through life allowed certain struggles that are a part of the journey. I can't really attribute my accomplishments to myself alone because I pray a lot and God has brought me to the point where I have to depend on Him for everything I do. So I guess the only thing I can take credit for is my "Yes" to Him, but even that He helps me give to Him.

5. What is your advice for my pledge class, who will eventually be the future of this organization hopefully?
Spread the Kappa spirit around to everyone you meet. It isn't limited to those young women who bear the letters. There will be many people in your lives who will never have the opportunity to experience what you are in this sorority, so teach them by your lives what it means to struggle for freedom...to fight against oppression...to find your inner strength.

"May He enlighten your inner vision, that you may appreciate the things we hope for, since we were called by God." (Eph 1:18)

0 comments: