Saturday, December 11, 2004

His mother stored up all these things in her heart

How did she feel knowing that she was kissing the face of God? This child who got cold, was hungry, felt pain...this was her Lord. He chose her to be His mother. It was through her body that He would enter the world. There could not have possibly been any words to describe it all.

Yet she was reminded every day that He did not belong to her. They needed Him. She did, too, but He came to die for all humanity. Look at how they sought Him out. So much hunger for salvation. The shepherds...the wise men. Simeon and Anna had waited so long. Later on it would be the multitudes of sinners.

There is a longing in the human heart to be in the presence of God. They may not have fully understood who He was, but they wanted to be around Him. And Mary...what privilege and responsibility she had.

But the secret would be kept for thirty years...hidden. Until it was time...

What does this say to you, little one? How are you to imitate Mary in this way? Your heart holds Jesus very close, but you are now starting to understand that you cannot keep Him to yourself. Just like Mary, you are to share Him with the world around you. The intimacy of your relationship with Him must be preserved in all its sacredness, but as you find the fruit of His Spirit growing within you, do not forget that you are His...to be used at His disposal, not the other way around.

Especially today there is still a need. They still seek Him out...in you, in your family, in your friends, in your church. People want to know...who is this Jesus that you follow? Are you any different because you say you love Him? No life is really complete until a soul meets Him in spirit and in truth. Jesus Christ is the greatest gift you can give to anyone in this world. Mary knew this for herself. Ask her to help you to do as she did...without fear...without hesitation.

"Wonderful are your decrees; my soul cannot but keep them. As your words unfold, light is shed, and the simple-hearted understand. I gasp in ardent yearning for your commandments that I love. Turn to me then and be gracious as to those who love your name. You promised to direct my steps; free my path from evil. Rescue me from human oppression, and help me keep your precepts. Favor me with your smile and teach me your statutes. My eyes shed streams of tears for those who disobey your law. I call upon you, save me and I will do your will. Before dawn I rise and cry for help; all my hope is in your word. I lie awake through the night to ponder on your promises. Hear my voice, in your unfailing love; in your justice, O Lord, preserve my life." (Psalm 119:129-136, 146-149)

0 comments: