Monday, October 24, 2005

I want to be like Jesus

...though I will always fall short. I figured, though, that I'm better off wanting to be like Him rather than anyone else who has ever lived.

Of course we always admire people...we want to look like they do...have what they have...act like they act...and it's perfectly okay to have role models and heroes.

But I'm finding that I need someone who will walk closely enough with me...who will spend enough time with me to influence me just by their presence alone.

And that's my Lord.

I'm too easily influenced by the world...by my physical, emotional, and spiritual environment. In positive circumstances, this is a GREAT thing. However, this isn't always the type of situation I find myself in.

If people around me are negative, I start to become negative. If things that I see attract me to want more materially, I find myself spending money on stuff I don't really need. If I listen to music that doesn't uplift my spirit, I lose the desire to pray more and talk about God as the center of everything.

Granted that I can't live my life as if I was a contemplative nun, I need to again be grounded enough so that when I am surrounded by things or attitudes that aren't particularly helpful, I don't become consumed by them. Further progress will be made when I can be in those situations and actually see the face of God, hear His voice and recognize His hand moving in that particular time.

So my prayer is that somehow, someway God will help me know Him better so that I can love him more...that through receiving the Eucharist and being in His Presence I will be transformed into His likeness.

Opportunities for humility are to be expected. They don't always feel good, but I'm thinking that that they're very necessary for me right now. Get ready...

Whooohooo =) praise God. Really, praise God.

0 comments: