Thursday, September 22, 2005

Shower meditation

Most "revelations" that I get come as I'm getting ready to start my day. It occurred to me at some point (was it after I was washing my hair? haha) that the entry I wrote in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep contained my "non-negotiables". So my thoughts continued, yes, after I woke up and God gave me the following:

If the characteristics of my "ideal mate" were not present and I ended up with the complete opposite, this is the kind of person he'd be. Imagine this...

  • does not see a need for prayer
  • refuses to believe in anything supernatural
  • impatient
  • judgmental
  • unkind
  • coarse
  • lazy
  • disrespectful
  • does not value the Mass
  • thinks praying the Rosary is a waste of time
  • watches and listens to anything under the sun, no matter how many obscenties are seen or heard
  • thinks kids are a nuisance
  • rude
  • prideful
  • does not practice what he claims to believe when he does choose to believe in something
  • chaotic
  • selfish
  • has no room for God in his life

Then I pictured being that way myself and felt sick to my stomach.

I can marry someone who can't cook but I can't marry someone who has no faith. I can commit to someone who doesn't listen to the same music as me but I can't allow junk to enter into the eyes and ears and thus the hearts of my children. He doesn't have to share all of my interests but he at least has to share my love for God.

I am really grateful, though, that Gary and I do have much in common - more than we thought at first - (and also that he can cook!) but I'm more grateful that he has what I can't let go of.

This is simply a follow-up to a conversation I had with a couple of friends this past weekend when one of them asked about the necessity of common interests between boyfriend and girlfriend or husband and wife. Sure, I really enjoy Broadway shows and overseas trips but there are more important values that really hold a relationship together and build the foundation for a good family.

We also spend so much time looking for that "special someone"...that "perfect soulmate"...that we neglect the work that needs to be done on ourselves to prepare for the moment when that person walks into our lives.

That's why I have to take a good look in the mirror, not just every once in a while but everyday...open to pulling out the logs in my own eyes before I start pointing specks out to other people.

Those are my thoughts for the day. I'm off to see my best friend now. I really miss her. =)

TTFN! +BiL

0 comments: