Friday, January 23, 2009

A Voice for the Unborn

I have always been pro-life. I have also been misunderstood, criticized, and judged for trying to speak up for children who have the right to live. Since the days of email debates with my friends years ago, I have not been as vocal because I didn't think that arguing with them was worth it. So I spoke up in other ways. I taught my students to value the dignity of every human person. I made sure they understood why abortion was wrong. Every night I prayed for the babies in danger of abortion. And ever since I knew I was pregnant with my first child in October 2006, my voice has grown much stronger. Maybe not louder, but the strength of my convictions has developed so much more because I BECAME A MOTHER.

As most of you know, I lost my first baby. He was five weeks old when he stopped growing in my womb. That didn't rob me of the opportunity of being a parent because he was my son from the moment he was conceived. I fed him, I nurtured him, I talked to him...and after he passed and went home to the Father, he talked to me, too. He still does.

I thank God every day for that pregnancy, even if it did not reach the full term. Nothing about it was a failure...everything about it helped me appreciate life and the blessing I now have in both Meleana and the child whom I carry today. I don't know why God did not allow Little Gary to be born and the other two to live. But the length of their lives is His call, not mine. So when I think about the millions of children who could have lived but were forcefully removed from the womb, I feel so incredibly sad. Last night I had tears welling up in my eyes as I watched Meleana sleeping next to me. She is a miracle...though, yes, she was conceived naturally...she was created out of God's love...made with a soul of her own...a soul that Gary nor I had anything to do with in its coming into existence.

I was impressed by President Obama's charisma and intelligence. I could see how many in this nation looked to him as a symbol of hope for all people. I admired his eloquence and good will. But I could not support his views on abortion. That was the first and foremost issue that determined my vote. Of course I am concerned about the economy. Of course I am concerned about the wars we fight overseas. Of course I want all Americans to know that it is possible to be elected President if you are a person of color. But who is to speak up for the voiceless unborn if we do not?

One day after the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, he lifts the ban on federal funding for international organizations who support or perform abortions. People say this will help the overall outcome of women's health...

"Women's health has been severely impacted by the cutoff of assistance. President Obama's actions will help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, abortions and women dying from high-risk pregnancies because they don't have access to family planning," said Tod Preston, a spokesman for Population Action International, an advocacy group. (taken from an article I read in Yahoo news today)








I can't swallow this. There is another way, America. Killing our children is NOT the solution to difficult circumstances that women today may face - whether medical, financial, emotional, or what not.

God help us... If we don't listen to Him, what will become of our society? What will become of our world?

"For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."
+AMDG+

1 comments:

Save Room said...

Oh, B.anne... I love you :)