Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happiness is...

...not comparing your life to anyone else's.

There will always be people in this world "better off" than you are, and there will always be people in this world "worse off" than you are. What's interesting is that the people you think are "better off" often struggle in ways that you are unaware of...and the people you think are "worse off" might have more to be thankful for than you do.

Just a thought sparked from a conversation that I had with my sisters a few days ago.

If you're constantly looking at everything other people have that you don't, you'll feel very unsatisfied with your own life. If you're constantly looking for everything that's wrong in everybody else's lives, you'll have a false sense of esteem for what you think you do have.

Moral of the story: Live your life as best as you can according to God's will for you. The only person you can really compare yourself to is the person He made you to be. The "best version of yourself", as Matthew Kelly says.

You can't even want to be the person you used to be since time and experience has changed you. But in the circumstances you find yourself, you can ask God how you can be more grateful and loving and generous and kind...more faithful and committed and honest...more like Him among the people He has placed in your life.

Another random thought: It always takes me a really long time to make Kris Kringle lists. I no longer like to accumulate things, and as time goes by, I've realized that I only buy what I really need. So when I have to make a list of things that I "want for Christmas", I have a hard time. Hmmm...

Meleana wasn't feeling well today. She puked all over Gary twice and looked horrible when I got home. Her tummy wasn't agreeing with the whole milk. It took a while for her to get better, but you should have seen her just laying there on his chest. So sad. Thank God that she was eventually up and about again after a few hours, running around saying, "Hiiii....!!"

=)

2 comments:

Save Room said...

Great point about remembering not to compare ourselves to others... I even see the kids do it with what their friends are allowed to do... my response is always, "Well, when so and so becomes a saint than you can imitate him/her" sometimes when I'm lazy I just say, "Well, God made me your mom and I said no" :)

Hugs and kisses to poor Meleana... I'll pray for her tummy to be more accepting of whole milk... it's so much cheaper than formula ;)

Em said...

Thank you for coming over and coordinating Thanksgiving dinner! You guys are so thoughtful. And yes I loved the conversation as always! I always love hanging out with the sisters!

Hope Meleana is feeling better...