Saturday, February 02, 2008

One Day at a Time

Lots going on right now...the last few months have been a real adjusting period...but life is different these days.

I'm still working at St. Jerome. I'm finishing up my Masters/credential at LMU. I have a daughter and a husband I wish I could spend more time with.

"How are you able to do it?" a classmate asked me this morning, who also happens to have a three-month-old daughter of his own.

I admitted to feeling overwhelmed, but I told him that I had to take things one day at a time. There was no sense worrying about everything I had to get done...I just had to do it. That's what my dad taught me when he was alive.

A couple of weeks ago, I was so stressed out. I felt guilty about not being able to do it all, and then I realized that I couldn't be Superwoman. I had to let go of my own expectations and stop putting so much pressure on myself to be the perfect teacher, wife, mother, sister, and friend. I hoped people would understand, and I could only be grateful for the support that Gary was giving me through it all.

To top it all off, I felt so disconnected from God. I forgot how to talk to Him, and most of all, I couldn't hear Him because I was too busy.

So I decided to put Him first.

After watching Facing the Giants again with my 7th graders, I remembered how important it was to pray...not just in class with the kids and at night before I went to bed...but every moment...every chance I got. I was no longer concerned that my spiritual life had changed dramatically from being full of mysticism to being nothing but complete silence.

I just started talking to Him again. Even if I didn't hear anything right away, I just gave Him my time because He deserved it.

Then viola! the peace returned.

We had a chance to vent today in class...about anything...and I wanted to. But I didn't. I didn't feel like I had to anymore.

I'm actually starting to enjoy the process that life is, even if it's been very challenging.

So all in all, I can't neglect my spirit and I can't stop praying. Because if I do, I'll fall apart. I have to believe that He's there for me.

I have so much more to write, but I've got a RICA review session to go to now.

'Til next time...

1 comments:

dorothy said...

hi b.anne! i miss our talks. let's get together sometime. i'll come visit you and meleana (sp?)